Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Purge

 1) I think it was supposed to have some social message undertones. For example, there's this part at the beginning where the purge starts and they let this dude running around outside into the house. Then this group of upper class n00bs comes and says to give him up or they'll TKO the whole family. Then there's this utilitarian/ethics debate amongst the family where they can't decide whether to give the stranger to the mob or to not do it and all die. DB said there was some social significance to other lines in tha movie but I don't really remember them lol.

2) That was a long #1 point lol.

3) My biggest beef with tha movie is that (putting aside the absurd plot) how woefully unprepared the family is for anything. I mean, even in tha movie Fear they can explain the lackluster security on Reese Witherspoon's character coughing up the code to the house. Here, not only do they
a) let in a total stranger on the worst possible day; they also b) then let him run around the house for 30 minutes without looking for him; c) all of while their teenage daughter is no where to be found; and d) they split up. As I was explaining earlier to DB, why on God's green earth would you divide and conquer around the house to find some total stranger? And even at the end of it, why don't they do something about those crazy neighbors. I mean, THEY JUST SANG THAT CRAZY ANTHEM AROUND YOU WHILE TELLING YOU THEY WERE GOING TO KILL ALL OF YOUR FAMILY. Do you really need a reason to not let them hang out at the dinner table with you?

4)  I don't really know how good a sequel to this could really be. At the end of the day I don't think the family will let anyone into the house again lol.

Ethan Hawke has been pretty mediocre in these B- horror movies so far (see Sinister). I don't know that I'd be lining up outside the movie theater to see him star in another one of these.

Thanks Obama, 

B-

No comments:

Post a Comment