Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods


1) I've started doing this thing where I try to sit around for a day after a movie to collect my thoughts about it so I don't jump to any conclusions lol. After a few days, I've figured out the movie is pretty solid. I actually feel (sort of) qualified to review this since I actually have seen 1400 horror movies and get (most of) the references made in the movie.

2) I was really impressed with all the shout-outs to other horror movies. The whole cabin/scary trees had to have been a reference to The Evil Dead, the 3 spooky looking people with masks was The Strangers, the set up with the creepy guy on the side of the road has been in almost every Friday the 13th movie, and finally (and most obviously) that pinhead look alike from Hellraiser. I think if I rewatched it I'd probably see a wreck of more people popping out.

3) I think the part that made me think it was goofy the most was just the whole 'there are evil gods who need a specific sacrifice or we're going to destroy the earth'. It also just seems implausible that these experiments were being deployed all throughout the world and not one of them was successful. You think these dudes would concentrate a lot more at work if the fate of the earth depended on it.

4) That being said it was pretty tight. Super scary creatures in it, mixed in humor really well and generally was a good critical look at horror movies while accentuating what was good in them.

I'll be tuning in,

A

1 comment: